The Department of Biology is responsible for training a master program in Ecology (since 1996), the bachelor programs in Biotechnology (2001-2005) and in Biology (since 2008). Staff members of the Department also guide several courses of General Biology, Biostatistics for students of other bachelor programs in other Colleges (Agriculture, Environment and Natural Resources, Biotechnology Research and Development, Aquaculture and Fisheries) of the Can Tho University.
2. Scientific research
To meet the requirement for teaching activities of fundamental and applied Biology, the on-going research activities of the Department are focusing on 3 main topics:
- Microbiology: Nitrogen-fixing bacteria; phosphate and potassium-solubilizing bacteria; and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) degrading bacteria in soils and in waste water.
- Bioassay: Screening for plant-originated substances capable of diabetes regulation and anti-oxidation.
- Application of microalgae in the fields of environment and agriculture.
3. International co-operation
The staff members of the Department have been joining in the research groups focusing on:
- Application of Drosophila model and Vietnam-originated natural substances for human disease study, Kyoto Institute of Technology, Japan.
- Genetic assessment of pesticide-degrading bacterial communities in the Mekong delta of Vietnam, KULeuven, Belgium.
4. Staff organization
- Head of Department: Dr. Tran Thanh Men
Responsibilities: managing general missions of Dept., postgraduate management, quality assurance for postgraduate education, and staff management)
- Deputy Head of Department: Dr. Pham Khanh Nguyen Huan
Responsibilities: university management, quality assurance for university education, and student affairs).
- Deputy Head of Department: Dr. Nguyen Thi Kim Hue
Responsibilities: facility management, scientific research, international co-operation